This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
To love yourself is the absolute basis for anything else in your life. I know, it sounds counterintuitive, and even selfish, I struggled with this for years and years myself. However, it’s simple, without self-love, we can’t love others, or accept that others love us. Self-love is a seeing what is good in yourself. And that is the fundamental to recognizing what is good in others.
Self-love is a basic need for mental health, and for self-esteem. So following this list may cause your self-esteem to increase, and your mental health to improve.
- Always use nice and positive words when you talk about yourself
- Take a real “me” day from time to time, even with a (social)media-stop
- Take responsibility for how you feel. You have to power to change it, you control how you feel.
- Learn to say “No”, or “thank you very much, but I will skip this time” when you don’t feel like doing it.
- Always remember your priorities, your goals, what’s most important to you
- Always remember the ones you love, who are important to you, and the ones that love you, and to whom you are important
- Make each meal a special occasion, and learn the art of conversation during those meal
- Treat yourself to an empty kitchen sink and a clean bed every day
- Regularly take a long walk, preferably in nature, with only yourself
- Write down a list of at least ten things that you want to experience in your lifetime. And try to make it happen
- Reach out. Help someone who you know needs it
- Organize your closets and tidy up your room. A structured house gives you a structured mind
- Check the clothes you buy for two criteria: They have to make you feel absolutely fab, and they should fit comfortably
- Avoid drama at all cost, but deal with the issues you need to deal with!
- Always remember that it doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to be. And the same goes for you!
- Go to bed each night around the same time
- Look in the mirror and think “Wow, I’m really hot!”
- Use your energy efficiently, and don’t let people drain it
- Use your time wisely, and don’t let people waste it
- Speak only half the time you think you should
- Play. As much as you can. Everywhere, every time you can